Friday, October 3, 2008

Panic...and I Did it to MYSELF!!


After I posted last night, my OCD decided it felt like it was a good time to act up. I was suddenly anxious because all I could think of was this: What if I have nothing else to blog about? I know I don't have to do multiple posts, I have just been inspired, but I wasn't even sure I could think of anything to ever write about again. And panic ensued. I felt like I was on the verge of an anxiety attack. My brain (my mortal enemy) taunted me, if you have nothing to say, you'll lose the people you've met, that's what ALL pro-blogger sites were saying.
That was a second mistake, looking online for advice. Because suddenly I was bombarded with sites that said things like "The 10 Biggest Blogger Mistakes" or "101 Blog Blunders", and I was like...say whaaaa? There are mistakes?! I am the queen of making mistakes, this means I will probably make at least 51 of the 101 mistakes only 1 blogger talked about. CRAP! *note - crap and bloody are my "bad" words...I'm such a rebel I know. Not! I just figure there are so many words in the English language alone, not to mention all the other languages, that swear/curse words are stupid. Don't get me wrong, I SO want to use them sometimes, but I restrain myself.*
But I digress (I believe I have mentioned my tendency towards segues,etc. to some of you. It's a sad serious sickness that most people are unaware of...oops I'm doing it again, LOL!). So I find myself at one particular site what has over 150 SITES containing mistakes bloggers make and I sat in front of computer, gulping, all the while thinking..."but I just wanted to write about everyday nonsense and find friends"...how can this blogging thing be SO difficult?! So many people are bloggers, do THEY know all the rules? Which I really couldn't understand, a lot were related to if you want your blog to make money, and sure money's nice but not what I was aiming for. And the others just *whoosh* over my newbie head.
And people who claim they have great blog idea sites for you? Lies, all lies! Unless you want to bash or shower love on the new iphone or some such nonsense. Or dissect some particular website that apparently these bloggers think is THAT interesting enough to suggest it as a great blog idea. No it all seemed hopeless...at least at 4:37 am it did...my OCD seld should have gotten my butt off the evil computer, but I let the obsessiveness rule me last night....aaggghhh.
But alas, I found a sight with a few ideas that helped calm me down. Use a notebook and brainstorm ideas. And it gave you an idea on how to do it, look at your last 5 posts and see if you can expand on things you wrote before. I know how OCD this makes me, a notebook with ideas, but it said this was a great ideas for days where you have nothing to say, your "blog rainy days". And I thought, thank the crapness, someone finally writes something I GET. And it worked, I looked at a few of my posts and knew there was more to write. There are dozens of Max stories I can tell, I have opinions on so much music and movies and tv shows, and I beat the OCD monster down. Yay! I finally felt better. This blog is supposed to be good for me, fun for me. A place to find people who I can relate to and talk with. It shouldn't be stressful...okay I know myself, I may have more OCD attacks, but I am hoping I have told my evil brain enemy, to SHUT IT, at least for awhile.

8 meaningful meanderings:

rychelle said...

i had no idea there were sites that told you how to blog. (i'm going to try and resist the urge to google them).
you're doing it just right.
this is YOUR blog!!
enjoy =)

Brigitte said...

Screw those blogging rules! There is no right and wrong with blogging. Your blog is just a reflection of you and there is no wrong or right way to express you.

Sure there are some common rules of respect like don't leave nasty anonymous comments and just plain leave comments, but forget the rest and just write what you want to write!

I guess some say that not writing everyday is a big NO-NO. But I blog because I want to and if I don't want to one day, I'm not gonna do it just because someone said I should. Guess that might lose me some readers but I care more about doing something I enjoy and getting down my thoughts than having tons of readers. But that's just me.

Whitney R said...

I haven't seen any "how to" for blogger sites!

I have no rules on my blog. lol. But I think I'll try the notebook thing. Thanks for that :)


And I've been listening to your playlist. It's great :)

Kristina P. said...

When I first started, I blogged daily, for about two months. But many of my posts were lame and fillers. Now I don't feel like I have to and it's less stressful.

I also tend to write posts in advance, and post them later, so this helps with feeling stressed because you have nothing to post about.

Anonymous said...

At first for me it was sta-ress-ful. I thought about it day and night. Would get out of bed at 3am to post.

I got rid of that blog and started fresh.

For me there are no rights or wrongs. Just stuff that comes to mind.

Brittany Marie said...

I didn't know there were blogging instructions either. huh!

I think my husband has OCD. Seriously, when he has to decide between 2 or 3 things, it takes him FOR.EVER. I keep telling him "Remember that scene in The Aviator where Howard can't pick a steering wheel?" and that usually snaps him out of it. :p

Wendyburd1 said...

Rychelle - I know! Who knew?! And resist that urge because it just stressed me out, making me worry I will screw this up somehow!

Brigitte - Thank you for that! I thought it was just supposed to be me being me too, but holy frikkin cow, the pressure these sites made me feel on top of my own!

Whitney - I liked the notebook idea too...ok I even typed it up so it was organized...when I get lazy my handwriting BITES.LMAO You listened to my playlist, really? Thank you! Just a few current faves of the week.

Kristina - I read that writing some blogs for a rainy idea was smart and as soon as I have time I am so gonna do that, anything to lessen stress of any kind rocks!!

nobody - it is SO good to hear I'm not the only one who started a blog and felt stressed, I want this to be fun, especially since LOOK at these cool people I'm finding, a lot thanks to KRISTINA, the best!!

Brittany - decisions are hard for an OCD person...your brain goes but what if THAT one looks better on you....but what if THAT one is cheaper, etc....lamesness ensues, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Don't Stress, blogging is fun! your blog is great, it is you, and that is why people will read it!
how funny! I had no idea there were a bunch of site about rules, I don't think I'll read them either!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Awards and Such