Saturday, October 4, 2008

My Music Mission...Why? Well...

When I heard Superchick's song "One Girl Revolution" quite a few years ago, I fell in love with the song and immediately went on an OCD tangent to find any other songs they had out. I found they had one album out and used Kazaa to download all the songs on their album. From that first song, I had no idea that they would turn out to be a CHRISTIAN group!
So I was surprised when I heard the messages they were sending out in their music, which were beautiful and incredible and even fit Mormon standards so well. And I loved every single song on their album, which never happens to me. Some even felt like they had been written exclusively for me. "Let It Be" felt like my own personal anthem, so many things weighing me down, drowning me. But they were saying to let it go, that by doing so we would be the person God wanted us to be. And while I am in a constant struggle to do this, the song warmed my soul and continues to be one of my favorites that I use for inspiration. And "Barlow Girls" was basically a song about how the really cool guys wanted to be with girls who were pure and reminded them of their moms. I was like are these people Mormon? No they're not, but their messages were ones I thought were perfect for me, as a Mormon, as a female (they are very into female empowerment) and as a listener! Of course the reason I listened to them was I LOVED their music! Their sound is ever changing, so they have been called a christian-pop-rock-punk group in the past and have added to that with their other albums. Their second album I bought the day it was released and the songs were as amazing as the first album, and were full of positive messages that anyone should aspire to. "Hero" talked about how standing up for someone who is picked on can make a HUGE difference in someone's life, that by making certain decisions we can be someone's hero. I was like whoa when I heard it. Just by expressing interest in someone so they didn't feel alone might stop them from doing something to hurt themselves or others. "I Belong to You" talks about how alone life can feel, but how you always belong to HIM, and he'll always be there. The songs were just getting better and better.
Then their next album got out, and while it's sound was a bit different, it grew on me, until it became my favorite album. "Anthem" is like hey you girls who get dirty and bloody doing things only "a guy can do", you go, you rock! "Beauty From Pain" felt like it was written for me too, LOL! *I'm going to add some of these to my playlist so you can here what I am talking about*, but BFP, was just so quietly amazing, it makes me have goosebumps when I hear it. I could understand the feelings being sung about, so well. Yet the song is so uplifting and inspiring. I just try to get through the day too (a daily struggle), and I have also wondered why God has chosen to let me feel this way and for such a long time now...but the lyrics "though I cannot understand why this happened, I know that I will when I look back someday, and see how you've brought Beauty from Ashes, and made me as gold purified through these flames" and "Here i am, at the end of me, trying to hold to what i can't see,I forgot how to hope, This night's been so long, I cling to Your promise, There will be a dawn" they make me feel hope. That there will be light at the end of the tunnel, that someday when I am back in his arms...I will understand why I was chosen to have this particular path. And it encourages me to keep going. And when they re-released the album, adding "Stand In The Rain", it also gave me the shivers because I could understand so much. This group, while the band has changed over the years (Tricia and Melissa have always been the singers), has the most amazing messages, that are so universal, and are just promoting that you be the best person you can be, even if it is hard sometimes. That it is worth it, and you will see that in the end, if not now. And of course there is this video's song from this album. "We Live" was one of the first songs to really let the guys be heard (all still currently with the band) and I love it, Matt rocks in this song. And the stories are so vivid...why DO we wait until it's too late? That's a constant question I have heard people ask over the years, why did I wait until it was too late?
I'm gonna let you listen to this one and I want to hear what you guys think. This might be your first Superchick song, though so many years later, they are finally getting popular their songs even being used on The HILLS, oh my, LOL.
And for my birthday in July I was given their latest album, while I don't LOVE every song...yet...each one has messages that should be shared. Well I think so anyway, thus it is my mission to make you people into SUPERCHICK LOVERS!! I have tried over the years, with my sisters, with a few friends, and cousins, to get them to see how amazing they are and love them as much as I do, but so far no luck. No one else seems to see how amazing they are. Even if you're not a christian, their music just plain rocks. Their christian-like messages are "a" reason I like them, but not the main one. I love their sound. So maybe, just maybe I can make one or two of you out there, a Superchick lover too. It is a mission, a MUSIC mission.
Their newest album has the song "Hey, Hey" on it, which I adore. "Put your hands in the air, If you're crazy like us" and that there will always be other people who you can't please, and they will never understand what you are going through, until they have experienced it themselves. What a morale booster! Why should I try to please people who just want to put me down? I CAN BE ANYTHING THAT I WANT TO! LOL, I am listening to them while I write this so bear with me. And "Crawl(Carry Me Through)"? Even if I have to crawl, you'd crawl too? So poetic, so shows us that we are not alone.


And another reason I wanted to write about them, was they were my first real concert. I know, how can you be your age and never gone to a concert? Well it just never happened, we weren't exactly well off, so when I was in love with NKOTB, I couldn't ask my parents for that kind of music, and my friends never offered me a free ticket, and when I was older, there were bands and singers I liked, buy it just didn't happen and it wasn't something to worry about. And then in May of '07, Hartford CT was suddenly added to their myspace page as a concert location and my heart STOPPED. I was freaking out, running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. I was like, go with me, go with me to my two sisters (they only tolerate my true music love) and they said YES! So I went online and bought the tickets and a week later it was time! So we get there, and okay yes I am OCD, whatever, but I wanted to get the merchandise I wanted before my sizes sold out! So I waited and Brandon, the drummer, sold me my stuff!! I bought 3 tees And he signed the 8 x 10 photo I bought!!YES! And then the opening acts started and so it began.
Then FINALLY Superchick came on at 9 PM, I'd been standing for 3 hours by this time....man a seat would have been sweet!
Superchick was....AMAZING!! Tricia, the lead singer was right in front of me, I had a neckache from looking up for so long.I was waiting for them to sing "Beauty from Pain", it WAS the name of their latest album at that time, when they said goodnight!! I couldn't believe it! I was all sad, but then Tricia, Melissa and Dave returned alone, all quiet and they SANG IT!!! I was SO happy! I thought, "My night is complete!"
How wrong I was!! I went and bought Group1Crew's (one of the opening acts, they only one I liked) album from Blanca herself and they all signed it right in front of me! Then Sam and I walked out, Katie was still in though so when I spotted Dave from Superchick she ran to get his siggy for me, cuz supposedly we weren't allowed back in!! Then she shouted, I got them all except for the lead singers! I was going "WHAT??!!No Way!", and went back in where I got my photo taken with Melissa too!! I was in heaven...all that would have been better was Tricia's siggy and a photo with her, but I couldn't spot her anywhere. So we left and started walking to where the cars were, when we saw Brandon again, and he showed us that Tricia was behind HIM! I got her autograph, petted her dog Sophie and got a pic with her!!! I even got the nerve up to tell her that even though I was 28, this was my first concert and they were so good, and she was telling me how she was almost 28 and was so glad this was my first experience!!!GAHHH!! My sisters, who are not concert-virgins, tell me this kind of stuff NEVER happens!!Sure, I didn't directly meet Matt or Dave (and Max was MIA), but I got to meet my favorites, the 2 main singers and Brandon, who was soooo sweet! I have photos with all of them, AND a totally signed photo!! PLUS a completely signed Group1Crew cd!! Sam said she has never gotten close to any of her groups the way I got close to mine!! (Can you say eww, she loves groups like Korn and Limp Biskit, sooo not my idea of music) This was one of the best nights of my life! And since we got there so early, we were able to get that close to the stage, so that I didn't have people in front of me, and as long as I didn't look back, my social anxiety was okay, so it was the perfect concert in every way!

6 meaningful meanderings:

rychelle said...

your video link isn't working. :(

i love being introduced to new music!!

you should check out http://www.jambase.com/
it's a great way to keep up with all your fave bands. they'll send you a notice whenever anyone is coming to a venue near you.

go see live music! :)

Wendyburd1 said...

Aaahh the video is already broken, I will try and fix that now. Thanks for the website! LOL, I haven't seen another concert since. Concerts are so expensive and they don't offer ones like they do in NY where they do the in Central Park all the time...I've never been actually, maybe have to change that soon! I added some of the songs I talked about to my player on the side. Sorry the post was so long!!

Kristina P. said...

I haven't been to a concert in a long time either. NKOTB is coming to Salt Lake in November! I might have to go. I'm embarrassed now.

Whitney R said...

Yay for concerts! I love them. My first one was The Cranberries when I was 11. lol. For my birthday. And I've been to quite a few since then. But wow! Yeah, nothing like that ever happens. So excited to get pictures and autographs. My favorite band for a VERY VERY long time was 311. (That's actually the first time I haven't claimed them as my favorite band... weird!) I've been to 6(i think) of their concerts and have gotten Nick (lead singer)s autograph. I was very excited. But he was a bit of a jerk. I wanted a picture with him! But he left too quickly.

Oh well.

I think I'll have to check out this band! I'll let you know what I think.

Kim said...

Wendy,
Glad you found my blog so that I could find yours! I liked this video! Thanks, Kim

Wendyburd1 said...

Kristina - but Joey doesn't sing Please Don't Go Girl in his cry-worthy young voice anymore...and Danny and Jon look kinda slimy now, LOL!

Whitney - YES please check them out, it is my mission! Sandy loved 311 too, though now they are not AS loved also.

Kimberlee - Yay, I'm glad you liked it!!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Awards and Such