Saturday, October 11, 2008

What Was I Thinking?? Kill me NOW!



I had thought it would be cool to make a video showing a bunch of my artwork for you guys, and so I downloaded a program called Picassa that said it made making movies a snap. And that you could easy peasy, upload it to youtube or blogger. So I spent forever, deciding the order, and then I added captions that appeared on each picture, describing the medium (charcoal, oil pastel, photography, etc.) and what the subject was or what it was a study in. This is NOT that video. After spending ALL that time, and adding a cute song "Wendy" (based on a song I was half named for but no it wasn't by THESE guys, this is just an updated version of it), I proceeded to, what in essence, is like the checkout. It went through these uploading cycles and whirred and beeped and said draft saved. I was like...draft? No I want this to be the permanent one, and I worked at it for like another 30 minutes and still, it wouldn't even play for ME.

Finally after searching through google help, it said Picassa couldn't play music...then WHY have the ADD MUSIC button?!! So I deleted the song, figuring that MUST be it. And sure, it would make for a quiet and boring video, but maybe I would finally have success. I was wrong. *massaging temples* Why did I even DO this? It's not like I am doing much art lately, even though Mom says I should get back into it, since it is one of the things I really enjoy doing. So most of this is older stuff, and no one has even asked to see anything, so WHY do I torture myself. Well obviously it is ( geez I hope, otherwise...) the OCD, because do I give up, delete this friggin' PICASSA CRAP, and relax and just watch my scary movie and read my friends blogs?? Of course NOT!! No I search youtube and stuff, asking what programs people USE to make these videos on youtube, and finally someoe says if you have Windows XP or Vista, then you have Windows Movie Maker, and I DO, so of course I have to try it out and see how hard it is. And what the freak? It is...simple...and if I change the music format to a .wav file, it even lets me add the music! Now I have no idea how to add captions, and I was pissy by this point, so I didn't even care if you know the medium, so there is NO explanations...and sure, in Movie Maker, I can't figure out how to make it so you can have MORE pics of your stuff during the song, so I had to exclude a lot of my stuff, including digital pictures, which I do consider some of them ART, and I have been taking pictures ALL the time still, but unlike the few photographs in the video, which were done in a dark room,etc., these are ones I take with my digital camera, and either love them as they are, or I manipulate them and use filters and stuff.

So this is it...a cheap version of what I had started out making. It's a bunch of different mediums, but the piece I am most proud of, EVER, is included. It is the Marilyn Monroe piece. That is made completely out of cut paper. I now have expert knowledge of using an exacto knife...you have to, to get such tiny pieces made to end up looking like Marilyn's (BTW - I adore Marilyn, it's why I chose her as my subject, it could be any recognizable famous person) eyes,etc.
And you know the really upsetting part? They lie about rubber cement, it is NOT a permanent hold, because the frame I had her in had broken so she was put behind the old (1940's old) radio until my Mom could get a proper one. Well a year or so went by and when I fished her out...pieces were everywhere, and some were missing. I cried so hard. It was the piece of art I was most proud of, Sandy even tells me she gets it when she moves out (NO!) or if I die (I haven't decided if she gets it even then!). So I was devestated. And then OCD me went into high gear, and I traced the shapes I did have and sketched the ones I didn't (either by eyeing it or the remnants of the cement had left a shadow) and the next day I went to the art store, which didn't have the exact same shades of paper anymore (more hyper-ventilating), bought paper and rubber cement (nothing is stronger...sadly) and a new exacto knife and extra blades, and set to work. And then I decided...I am making extra pieces, so I did. You have no idea how much work this was, and bending over this little table, just make my back feel like it was breaking. And I finally cemented the last piece and let it dry...and stood back...and almost sobbed some more...because THIS is the updated picture. She looked exactly the same, and yes she is now (after a few more months, my Mom insisted it had to be the "right" picture frame to go with her TV room) safely inside a real frame, no plastic glass, this is the breakable kind, and it's not a "poster" frame, it's the real deal. But I didn't stop there, I set to work, making the second one, and she is a smidge different, I accidentally glued the wrong piece of paper on first, so in the secong, part of her hair is BEHIND her shirt, but really it is no big deal, she is Marilyn too...this one is NOT yet in a frame (I know I am a slacker) and now Sandy is REALLY bad about wanting the Marilyn when she leaves or I die...whichever happens first...thanks a lot!

8 meaningful meanderings:

Kristina P. said...

Wendy, your art is great! You are very talented. Great songs and video too.

Wendyburd1 said...

Thanks Kristina...obviously you are the only one to think so...I didn't think I was THAT bad...I actually consider myself AN artist...the rest of you are boobies!! Wee most of you are 2 boobies but still...MAN! What does it take to impress you guys?!:p

Michelle said...

Wow!! I'm impressed!!! Holy moly. I'm almost intimidated now. lol.

Wendyburd1 said...

Thanks Michelle! You and Kristina are my only fans!!

Rowboat said...

wendy i'm impressed with all your art! it takes so much time and effort just to get it out there, and you've made so much. keep it up lady! i want to start doing more art, but i'm afraid of trying painting. i want to take a class or something, but i'll have to wait til school's done. i hope you keep posting your stuff!

rychelle said...

i sense that you really love dolphins....
great work!

Wendyburd1 said...

LOL, yes I ADORE dolphins...that's ALL I want to do at Seaworld...stay and TRY to feed and pet the dolphins...I ADORE it!! For Drawing IV, we had to pick 1 subject, and explore it ALL semester, so I picked dolphins...I think I got very creative with some of the drawings, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Awards and Such