Thursday, October 2, 2008

Ohhh the Power of Apple Fritters


I was so excited when I got to bite into one of these warm nuggets of deliciousness today! I thought I wasn't going to get one this year, which would have been a travesty of epic proportions, because it's so hard to get them now. The Festival is in MY town, but people drive from ALL over Connecticut to get in line for these fritters made by this church near the Town Green. They have all rights to selling apple fritters during this 40 year old festival, and they have perfected them!
On the weekend, the line that forms for this ONE booth is staggering. You will be in line for hours, I am not joking. My dad and sister Katie stood in line for 2 hours last year, in the RAIN, to bring some home! Ohhhh they were sooooo good. Sugar-coated apple-ey goodness about the size of a golf ball...maybe a lil bigger if you get lucky. Chunks of warm apple inside....*sighs*. And the price keeps on rising each year, now it's $6 for a dozen and NOBODY buys just a dozen...people usually buy a few dozen EACH! And this is one of the problems. You can be in line for 3 hours, and be like in the "end zone" only 5 people ahead of you...when they yell out "SOLD OUT"!! And this has happened to me...well not the three hours...I try to get someone else to do that while I go look at the craft and jewelery booths...but the almost there and then all gone they say! Which is idiotic! Make up some more dough fools! You're raking in thousands of dollars a day during the festival, people drive 2 hours just to steal...I mean buy our town's famous apple fritters!
Sorry I went away for a minute, talking about them made me have to go get and eat a cold one...still delish!

7 meaningful meanderings:

Anonymous said...

OK, now I am going to go cheat on my diet, yummy!!! and cheers to you and the word verification!! I hate it too, and have to type it in 4 times -- P.S. I just saw we had lots of the same blog friends and since your name was Wendy I had to stop by and see who you were!

Brigitte said...

Apple fritters?! I've never heard of such a thing. There's no way they can be THAT good.

Hey... I have an idea! You should have a giveaway/contest on your blog and the prize could be some apple fritters.

That way I have a chance of scoring some. Afterall, I'll have to taste the mighty goodness to believe it.

Wendyburd1 said...

One problem the awesome apple fritter has...24 hours after purchase they are INDEED, merely hard golfballs...might be the grease they're fried in or I so would do a giveaway! But to have anyone thing the hard gritty rock is the deliciousness of which I speak would be sacreligious!

Teresa Jordan said...

Hi Wendy! I found/stalked your blog based on a recommendation from my friend Ramona (Better Than We Deserve). So happy to have found you. After reading your post, I found an apple fritter recipe and made some for the fam. I'm sure they can't compare to your world famous fritters, but they were pretty darn good. Ahhh...one more fattening thing to crave :0)

Zak and Weezie said...

Roger's has a new apple fritter donut that is amazing.... they're bigger, cheaper, you don't have to stand in line for hours to get them and they're available more than 2 weekends out of the year!

Unknown said...

Had an apple yesterday on the road trip...party in my tummy! But those apple fritters look sooooo good! Haven't had one yet, but we did get a lobster roll today. Yummo

Wendyburd1 said...

Hi Teresa *waves in happiness*!! I'm so happy you found me and commented! You made them, wow! I made them in home economics in 7th grade and they are not easy, but were good, freshly warm...so sad mine are golf balls now...well the like 3 left of 24 we were all sharing. But maybe I get more before Festival ends on Sunday!

Zak/Weezie - are these really new? Not the Apple Cider donuts? Cuz I am addicted to those (I'm hungry) and if they have new donuts, I have to get over there ASAP!

Ramsam - I hope it was at least a really good apple, like a gala or a granny smith!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Awards and Such