Wednesday, October 1, 2008

It's Not Easy Being the Oldest Sister...


Especially when one of your younger sisters is a professional bellydancer. Yes that's her, that's my wittle sister Katie. Disgustingly gorgeous isn't she? And all I hear from her is "I'm so Fat", it makes me want to throttle her! I'd kill to be "that fat"!
Anyway, I digress (sorry I do it often, I am easily distracted by...ooohh pretty bird...hmm? oh right). I have often acted as Katie's assistant/dresser/bodyguard on her gigs, and it can be hard on a big sister. First off, there's the costumes...are you people AWARE of how little they cover??!! All I want to do is throw a cover over her and glare at all the men in the room or tent! They all suddenly turn into slimy, greasy perverts with this glint in their eyes, and I wanna yell " Eyes back in your headsssss!"
And it doesn't stop there. She DANCES. Belly rolls and movements that make the well-endowed (*weeping*) chest's shake and bounce. Twirling that makes the skirts go way up high showing off TOO much leg. I mean do NOT get me wrong. She is AMAZING at it. I have (unfortunately, so NOT my thing) seen quite a few belly dancers now and she is truly gifted. She has been at it for 9 years and teaches classes in like 3 different towns. Has a professional webpage,etc. Don't worry fellow Mormons, she says on her website, NO Bachelor Parties! *gags*
But bellydancing is a cultural experience, so often, people get up and dance with her. LESSON - The correct way to tip a bellydancer is to rain bills over her head, but only people who know the culture do that (well mostly...hmmpph), everyone else act like she's a stripper and shove bills into her bra top and belt. And I have SEEN them get inappropriate. Katie has seen me get up with fire in my eyes because I am about to smack down a greasy 50 year old Egyptian who just felt her up "accidentally", but she always brushes me off and acts like it's okay. She doesn't like that aspect of the job, but this is her passion, so she puts up with it and doesn't want to lose jobs. What she doesn't get is that I'm the big sister!! Seeing people paw at one of my sisters makes me furious and sick to my stomach! And this is when I am there to back her up! I know that she has had worse encounters when she has done gigs on her own, even at restaurants where her safety should be secure, and the owner should have a male waiter watching out for her!!
And since I started helping her, she wants my opinion on things. Noooo! I have seen thousands of costumes (another reason these dirtbags shouldn't touch her, these suckers are at least $800 a piece usually...go ahead, stop coughing I'll wait...)and I have had to give opinions on them all. Although sometimes it's a good thing, "Oh no Kat that color would be horrid on you" (only a little but the 7 cut outs make me hate it) or "look at this one Katie, so pretty" (and covers that cleavage a few more inches than the other one!!). So that has it's positives and negatives. But she asks me about music too...hit me with a car now, I hate the belly dance music. So many bloody drum solos and they ALL sound the same to me! And they go on FOREVER!
But even worse than seeing the occasional scumbag pulling a feel, is the things I HEAR people say. Okay women, if it's negative, are just petty, they insult because they are jealous and know they couldn't do what she can do. But the men? It's usually disgusting comments that I have to live with. I'm the one who had to hear what a grossly squishy man says he'd like to do to my lil sister!! And I am putting thins nicely because I AM a good Mormon girl.
I support her, she is amazing, but she doesn't really get it. It's not easy being the older sister sometimes.

4 meaningful meanderings:

Kristina P. said...

She's gorgeous! I've never really seen bellydancing, but it sounds interesting.

I do like to dress up in the costumes and wear them into work, every once in a while, just because.

Brigitte said...

Hi! I'm so glad you stopped by my blog. I love making bloggy friends!

So your sister is gorgeous! (Yes you already know this.) My little sister is drop dead gorgeous too and it is way hard to be the NotAsCute older sister. I don't know what I would do if she belly danced! What creeps! I bet that is so frustrating to hear those things and not go over and slug those dirtbags.

MedSchoolWife said...

Haha yeah, I hear you, Wendy. I always wondered if Katie had problems with that doing belly dance gigs, because it's so misunderstood. I'm sorry you have to put up with it!

Wendyburd1 said...

Yeah slugging them not quite what I'd like to do...what I'd like to do involves hurting a different body part...LOL!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Awards and Such