Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Secret Life...

I went and saw "The Secret Life of Bees" tonight. It was phenomenal. From the first moment it begins, until the ending credits, you are drawn into the life of Lily, Dakota Fanning's character, and her discovery of a new life. And you are never bored. Now my Dad claimed after, "It's such a girls' movie", which I thing was bull, because when my Dad is BORED, and hates a movie (like during Mamma Mia), he SIGHS loudly throughout the entire thing. And I heard not one sigh. He said IF he were a girl he would give it a 7 or 8 out of 10...I so think he secretly enjoyed it, to give it such a good score.

I know everyone likes to make such a big deal out of Jennifer Hudson, and yes she is a good actress, but it was Dakota and the "Boatwright" sisters (aka Queen Latifah, Alicia Keys and Sophie Okonedo) who were stunning. I wanted to go learn about Bees and Life from these sisters, May, June and August. Even Paul Bettany, the BAD dad, was amazing...who knew you could HATE him SO much!

I have been a huge fan of Dakota Fanning's since "I Am Sam", with Sean Penn. They were both fanatastic. And then I saw her in "Trapped" and "Sweet Home Alabama", and she was so cute in Home and in Trapped, she made you feel for her so much and even got her kidnapper caring for her. And then she showed her diversity in "Uptown Girl" when she played an OCD rigid little girl...who didn't know how to be a kid...or get the love she craved. She really rocked as Ray, and outshined Brittany Murphy. And "Man on Fire" with Denzel...holy frickin' cow!! This girl can hold hersulf with the biggest male actors in Hollywood!! Because she followed that with "Hide and Seek" with Robert Dinero...where she was SO dark and mature...I thought it was her, and you know what I mean if you saw the movie...such skill for a then 11 year old. And then she held her own with Tom (ugh) Cruise in "War of the Worlds", which I actually really enjoyed. Every other movie she is in...she continues to impress. And "Bees", just showcased how talented a young actress she has become. There is only one movie I cannot see her in...I know you all have heard about it...no I cannot see this adorable young woman...endure THAT. Nope she shall not be hurt before my eyes in such a way. And she is voicing Corailne in the animated stop-motion film of the same name, see how multi-talented she is!

So if you love Dakota, or Queen Latifah or Alicia Keys or even honey and bees, GO SEE THIS MOVIE! You won't regret it, it is beautiful.

22 meaningful meanderings:

tiki_lady said...

i want to see it too, i heard many good things.

*MARY* said...

I've never even heard of this one. Where have I been?
Oh ya, blogging.

Krissy said...

Oooh! I'd heard good things about the movie before now.. that's even better to know! I ADORE Dakota Fanning!

Kristina P. said...

I can't comment on this post. You will hate me if I discuss my feelings for Dakota.

Anonymous said...

I'll put on my must list. Thanks!

Mary said...

I am sorry to say I am not a fan of Dakota Fanning...but I am really interested in see this movie! Thanks for the review!

Brigitte said...

I LOVED that book. I am so excited to see the movie! I've heard some great things about it.

Wendyburd1 said...

Kristina!! How many people and things DO you hate?!!

It really is a great movie...everyone in it makes it shine!

Anonymous said...

i gotta see that movie!

thanks for the recommendation!!!

Me (aka Danielle) said...

Did you read the book? I've got the book in my reading list (yes I have a reading list). When I saw the movie come out, I panicked because I haven't been able to read it......such dilemmas. Do I see the movie then read the book? No read the book and then the movie?

Jillene said...

I REALLY wnat to see this!! I guess I will have to now with such a great review!!

Brittany Marie said...

Our receptionist saw it and said it was good. I too am not a fan of Dakota's though.

Natalie said...

What is with so many people dissing Dakota? I had no idea she had such an anti-fan base!

Kristina P. said...

Wendy, I've discovered you and I have very different tastes. I love Kathy Griffin and Pride and Prejudice. And YOU hate them! See, I love everything! ;)

I actually did a "Things That Must Go" post, some time ago, and Dakota made the list.

She just bugs me.

XO Marie said...

I love that your Dad goes to the movies with you..Oh, I want a cute Dad like that..SO SWEET!
L ,Marie

Anonymous said...

I read the book last year and can't wait to see the movie!!!

glad you thought the show was so good, makes me want to check it out even more, BN (before Netflix)

found you on Just So's blog and LOVE your picture. and reading through your blog, that you are a comment hound, I need a new blog friend to comment on mine, so come on over :) you'll fulfill my vampire need for validation :)

Dads(2) said...

I'm SUCH a Queen L. fan . . . absolutely positively love her!

Michelle said...

I really like Dakota Fanning. I have never heard of this one though. I'll have to look into it.

Alyson | New England Living said...

I read this book some time ago. I liked it, wasn't my favorite, but it was good. I think I'll check out this movie. It'll probably have to wait until it's on DVD. I pretty much don't see movies until they make it on DVDs!

Donna said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I want to read the book before I see the movie. Now I know it's worth my time to do both. Thanks!

Wendyburd1 said...

Kristina - Yes, but I love pigs...you love bacon...that's RELATED!! And I love Colin Firth, but not his english movies, LOL! We MUST agree on somethings!?!

Rowboat said...

i am so looking forward to seeing this movie! i read the book and i LOVED it. i highly recommend it.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Awards and Such