Thursday, October 30, 2008

An Apology...

"An Apology from Wes Craven

There's something I have been meaning to get off my chest. Something that's been eating at my conscience for decades now. And I'll admit, it's not easy to write without getting a little choked up....

....I'm sorry.


I'm sorry to the countless people whose lives I've cut short. The characters who've become unwilling sacrifices to my art: the buxom babysitters. The doubting cops. The overbearing parents and well-intentioned boyfriends. Teens with their whole lives ahead of them. Decent, hard-working adults. All sent to an early grave in the name of box-office gold.

Some made my job a little trickier - valiantly struggling to make it to the end credits. Others did everything but cut their own throats - running upstairs when they should've run out of the house; falling asleep when their lives depended on staying awake.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't taken pleasure in dreaming up ways to kill them. Disembowel them. Beheading them. Burning them, shooting them, and crushing them in garage doors. I've tortured in Last House on the Left. Picked off an entire family one by one in The Hills Have Eyes. Created a child-murdering monster with the power to kill people in their dreams.

I've built a career on the blood of innocents, and I guess the guilt's finally caught up with me.

Sure, I've tried to make amends before. Tried to give my characters a fighting chance. New Nightmare was the first step towards self-aware horror movie characters. Scream went a step further. For the first time, we had people who knew they were in a horror movie. Even better, they were armed with knowledge of the rules.

And yet they died.

No matter what I do, no matter how much of a head-start I give them, it seems my characters always end up on the wrong end of a long knife. And while I'm happy that somebody's finally written them a guide to help them survive, I wonder how much good it'll really do.

Death finds a way."

I loved this foreword by Wes. Death finds a way sounds just like Jurassic Park's "Life finds a way". Jeff Goldblums' Dr.Iam Malcolm saying "If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, expands to new territory, and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously." It just gets tangled up and makes me laugh!

Happy Halloween EVE!! Tommorrow's the BIG day!! *owwwwwwwwwwwwwwww*

I need to go find something....hold on a sec......

Here ya go!


*When I stilled loved M.J. and his music...and he looks better as a zombie than he does these days in real life!


7 meaningful meanderings:

Anonymous said...

Dear Wes,

No worries Mate! Because of your 'vision' in creating movies, I have had many a good looking guy to snuggle with! Thank you for the oppurtunity and the excuse where I would normally not have one. Please don't beat yourself up!

Love, Erin

Kristina P. said...

Holy cow! It's like he read my mind! I could have written the same thing. ;)

Jillene said...

Love the Thriller clip! Thanks for reminding me that MJ used to be "the bomb"!!

Whitney R said...

I still love M.J. He owned my heart at 5 years old and now his music still owns my heart.

I have to say, though.. not liking the whole wes having dreams about ways to off someone... Wonder how many times he's had to change his sheets and buy new mattresses? Or maybe he got smart and bought a plastic cover.

XO Marie said...

OH, memories of sluffin' school to wait for the THRILLER video..Those were the days my friend!
l,Marie

Wendyburd1 said...

Michael isn't Michael anymore...doesn't look a THANG like the MJ I adored!!:P

tiki_lady said...

LOL, loved the post and love erin the great's comment!
THRILLER! oh I remember.. rofl

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Awards and Such