Thursday, October 9, 2008

How Can It be...?!


Okay, so I am the Queen of Horror movies, so it would make sense that I would LOVE to be scared right? SO Wrong. I thought that too. So when we lived in Florida, (for that whole 3 months) and we drove by this huge dark castle, with an open mouthed skull as it's door, called Skull Kingdom, I convinced my Mom to bring me. So my Mom and I, alone in Florida, decided to go there one afternoon. Who knew my MOM would be the brave one? At first it looked like we were going in a group of like 12, which was cool with me. I was getting a wee bit nervous. Then we were seperated somehow, and it was my Mom and I, and this guy and his like 12 year old son. And they managed to seperate US too. So it was just me and my Mom. This place is open year round so it is professional scariness. No cheap tactics, these were the really well thought out scary tactics.

This place is a few floors high and has so many rooms, I can't recall them all. And then there are the people, only you either thought they were fake, but they turned out real (NOT FUNNY!), or they all of a sudden were there even though you don't know how and are pointing at you with a scithe FORCING you into a certain direction/room. There was a room where you were in complete darkness, and I don't know if they were like boxing bags, but these moving things were hitting you and were close together, so you couldn't tell which direction to go. But there were PEOPLE in there too, because all of a sudden someone would be touching your hair or whispering in your ears, and they'd be laughing as you screamed. Then there was this dim "hallway". I put quotes because it was only like 12 inches wide. It turns out the walls were made of stretchy cloth, because people would all of a sudden be outlined trying to get to you or be squishing you between the two sides of the walls, and there was cackles and howls,etc. DiD I mention yet that I was clutching my Mom's hand so tight, we were sweating (our hands). Then there was the room that freaked me out the most. It was made totally with op art. That's what the picture I posted is, it's op art, which I like to make sometimes, but as a room, your eyes can't process it right so it kind of throws off your equilibrium, you feel like the room is spinning even though it's not, so you end up walking into things. And there were cutouts...and all of a sudden there he was, the killer from Scream popped up in one of the cut outs, and then he was in the room, with the knife. Now I told you what seeing the first one by myself did to me, and I guess that fear never really went away...not totally. Because I was screaming my ever-loving heart out. I NEEDED out, I was running, DRAGGING my Mom with me, my heart felt like it was about to explode out of my chest. I was shaking so hard, and he kept coming...until we were finally at an exit and then we were in for more chills (I didn't feel so much the thrills). Those are the rooms I can remember best. I knew after that, that I could NOT handle that sort of thing.

So guess what Katie, whose birthday is October 12th decided she wanted to do as a family for her birthday LAST year? The Haunted Graveyard at Lake Compounce. It's like 1 mile down the street from us, normally it is just a regular theme park, that is open from spring til about November 2nd. But in October they have a special feature. The Haunted Graveyard is a Mammoth Walk-through attraction featuring six haunted houses and a graveyard, all linked by a labyrinth of terrifying trails. I was scared witless, and of course it doesn't open until dark. But it was supposed to be me, my dad, my mom, Kate and Sammy. So, I was like 4 people and I can go behind 2 and have 2 behind me...or one on each side of me. But Katie and Sam got FAR ahead and disappeared. And my Mom wasn't psyched about this, but she was dealing and laughing, I was again, practically dragging her through this, with my Dad walking behind us, making scary noises and trying to scare us TOO! So I was leading us. They were really good, in some places they looked like the walls until they walked forward and stalked you (scary stalking guys!!), and they jumped out of everywhere, including ceilings and from under the ground!! And of course they have things that jump out or move, and fog machines and strobe lights. Corpses suddenly in front of you blocking your way out. And my heart is literally IN my throat. And did I mention I LIVE IN NEW ENGLAND, so It's freezing too, but I'm sweating like a pig. This is so not good for my tacchycardia. Those who don't know what it is, I have a heart rate that is too fast. Without my pills, I can have a resting heart rate of over 100 beats per minute, you should be at like 60 when it's your resting heart rate. So when I am scared or something, and maybe my pill is not working at it's best, or I need another one, my heart is going crazy, and the feeling is like a panic attack, only I was already having one from being scared...uhhh..SPITless. Ahhhhhhhh!! And then in one of the Houses, my dear old Dad, the bugger, says my name. This IS A mistake. Because all of a sudden my name is being whispered and screamed and cried EVERYWHERE! "Weeeennnnnnddddyyyy", "Where are you going Wendy", "I'm coming for you Wendy", and as we go further through the halls, more workers hear their friends calling my name so they know to DO IT TOO, so it never stopped for like 10 minutes until we were out of THAT house. And then there's rooms where everything's like backwards, and you come to the wall, only it was painted to look like the exit to the trails until the next house, so you have to feel along the walls until you feel empty space and suddenly someone's face is right in front of yours!! And they are grabbing at your jacket, so I'm pulling my parents along behind me. And the trails outside are no better. The trees of New England, I hated them that night. In one area there were so many trees and all of a sudden people in freaky masks would step out from behind them staring at you, while freaky music is blaring and you can barely see the trail in front of you, oh and pass that bush and someone grabs at your shoe. And a pile of leaves jumps up and runs towards you!! I was in HELL, cuz that's probably what Hell would be like for me. And you know because of the whole social anxiety thing, confined spaces are not my friend, so this was all like one confined house after another, and the outsides felt just as stifling. I was SHAKING like a leaf. Okay that's all my mind is letting me remember, I'm probably blocking some of it out. I know that when we finally got out and found my BLOODY SISTERS, who were laughing, I was as white as a sheet. Which is hard, since I am already so pale, I am almost see through!! And her birthday is in 2 days...I am very, VERY afraid. Her other choice last year was a haunted corn maze...people I have seen so many horror movies in cornfields, including Children of the Corn!! Corn fields are okay if you want to just do the maze, but PLEASE no scaring WENDY!!

How can I enjoy watching scary movies that scare me, but these things terrify me to the point of...uhh....insanity? I do not get it. I know it makes no sense. And how can Katie who can't watch horror movies, find it SO BLOODY FUN??!!! Help me...please never again!! And why does it feel like people would WANT me to go with them? Is it THAT fun to see someone so terrified?!! If so, you people are ALL sick, sick humans!

5 meaningful meanderings:

rychelle said...

said it before and i'll say it again - HATE haunted houses!

but, i do love halloween....the fun costumes....the candy....the pumpkin carving....

Kristina P. said...

I hate haunted houses too. Because I think they're dumb and I don't get scared, and I have to pay $20 to roll my eyes.

Wendyburd1 said...

Kristina - maybe you've never been to a well done Haunted House...because it scared the ever loving life out of me...so that's 2 years I have lost so far!!

Unknown said...

I love Haunted Houses, except for sometimes when they run the fog machines and use a lot of fake blood it starts to smell weird. That smells makes me very nervous

Tim said...

Weeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnddddyyyy Im coming to geeeeett you Weeeennnndddddy! LOL

This was too funny and I loved every last bit of it! So glad you reposted this for Oldies but Goodies.

I use to do those when i was younger. Like in high school and jr. high. But Im afraid (no pun intended) that it would be a little bit past my time to do it now too. LOL

Thanks for playing! I just cant wait for your next one!

Love and Prayers,

Tim

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Awards and Such