Sunday, November 9, 2008

Snicker-doodled!!

Holy Heck!! You CAN mess up a cookie, and badly!! I wasn't sure it was truly possible, but let me assure you, it IS! I have screwed up recipes before, "oh I thought it said 2 cups sugar, not 1!", "man I put in chocolate chips instead of raisins!!", but it never really ruined the cookie. Made it interesting, but still quite edible!!

Sam had made the batter up earlier, cuz Snickerdoodle dough has to sit in the fridge for an hour, to harden. So while she was helping my Mom with work stuff, I started the rolling the dough into balls and rolling them in the sugar-cinnamon mixture. We switched jobs at one point, because for some reason, I can read peoples signatures better than Sandy. Not ALL the signatures (people it SAYS print AND signature, not 2 siggy's!! MAN!) but a good amount. Sandy wouldn't let anyone try a cookie until they were all done. Now she had made a double batch, so I should have been worried when it took only like 30 minutes before they were ALL cooked. And it looked like maybe 30 cookies or so...it was odd. Now I knew she had used baking powder instead of soda, we were out. SO maybe that was why they looked like Golf Balls and there was only 30...but then I got to eat a cookie....oh my stars...this was NOT a snickerdoodle. It was...wrong. That's all I could say, "Ummm this doesn't taste like a Snickerdoodle...it's....wrong.". And I was trying not to let Sam hear me, UNTIL she was all "What the crap is wrong with these?! They don't taste right. They're gross!" and then I was like a flood from a broken dam, " I KNOW! This is....WEIRD!!". And she was like "No this is disgusting!!", LOL.

She made my Mom try one, and ever the diplomat, she was "They're not horrible...". But these were NOT cokies either, they left a weird aftertaste too. So Sam was really upset, hello it was now 8:30 at night, and she had told everyone Snickerdoodles were gonna be made. Heck, I was jonesing for them, and now had this "thing" sitting in my belly. Ughhhhh. So my mom asked her, did you leave something out, and Sam was like no, and we were commenting on why there was only 30 when a double batch could , I went and grabbed the book, and Sam and I saw, a double match could make 72 cookies....uhhhhh. What the?! And again as Sandy was reading the recipe next to me, my Mom asks "Are you sure you didn't leave something out?" and as Sandy is saying Yes...she pauses. "Oh my gosh, I only put in 1 cup of sugar, I forgot to double the SUGAR!!" and proceeded to...combust. She was SO mad at herself and I was offering to go down to Target and get baking SODA and more vanilla...yes I really wanted Snickerdoodles. My Mom is all Nooo, I can get us donuts, how about that Sam...but Sandy was still in shock. All that effort and we were telling her, hey Dad seemed to think they were fine, he can eat them. And I gave one to Max and said, hey Doggie Biscuits, low in sugar!!! This slightly amused her, but then depressed her.

So I offered to go down to Target again...and she was "but that's a lot of WOOOORK!" So I offered my help and my Mom said (that being the operative word) she would help. So she went with me down to Target and we picked up the ingredients, found Max a Christmas outfit (antlers and a neckcloth with jingle bells...can't WAIT!!) and got some snacks. We got home and my Mom had gotten all the ingredients out, but then left to take a bath...yeah, I should have known, the bath had more pull than helping make cookies. Then I guilted her, LOL, but when she heard they had to sit in the fridge for an hour she was all "wahoo" and said she'd be back. So I went and took a shower, then quizzed Sandy for her BIG phlebotomy test on Monday, and at last it was time...at 10:45 pm. So we began rolling the dough and had two sheets ready. Sam went to put it in the oven when I heard her shout "Aaaauuuuoooowwww" and looked over, she BURNED herself on the metal rack. She ran to the sink and I ran to see if I could help and saw the bodies of 5 cookie balls burning on the oven floor. I tried to get them out, but then the elements turned red and Sam was like NOOO Wendy, let's turn the oven off and wait. So we waited a few minutes but tried to get out most of the cookies...which WERE baking correctly this time, no golf balls!! It was scary. Then we finally got most of them out, and started the oven again. Snicker-doodled I am telling you!!

At last we were baking and they were coming out right. Well we got the last batch out, 62 cookies thank you very much, and THEN my mother shows up, so I GRAB a cookie to try first, hey she didn't help, Sam and I deserved to know if they were good first. SO I tried it first and hallelujah it was a Snickerdoodle!! Sandy was soooo happy. She had threatened if this didn't turn out right, she would NEVER make Snickerdoodles again!! Blasphemy!! So Yay, we had REAL cookies, that tasted GOOD! Okay these aren't our cookies but look exactly the same, thickness and everything!!

12 meaningful meanderings:

Mary said...

Don't feel bad, I completely destroyed brownies last week. I put in 1 & 1/4 cup of water, instead of 1/4...I tried baking it anyway, no dice...it ended up in the rubbish!
Nice looking snickerdoodles!!! I think I am going to try gingerbread cookies this year...I am feeling inspired.

Amander said...

I'm glad you actually got snickerdoodles after all that!

Jillene said...

Mmmmmmmm....Snickerdoodles!! Now I need some!!

Deb said...

oh, what we'll endure for some cookies.

one time i made chocolate mousse at my mom's house that "didn't taste right"... it took me forever to realize that, instead of sugar, i added salt. but sorry, who puts salt in a big jar? it looked like sugar to me.

Kristina P. said...

I love Snickerdoodles. I just had one from Noodles and Company a few days ago, and it was delicious!

I am having my 2nd annual cookie exchange this year. You would love it!

Me (aka Danielle) said...

This is the second post about cookies that I have read this morning. Maybe I should go upstairs and get me a cookie, I know I'm craving one now.

Michelle said...

Dude...I'm so making snickerdoodles today!! That sounds sooo good.

Whitney R said...

Mmm, those look better than my "brownies"

ktmay said...

that was some serious cookie drama. i think i would have given up! you're a trooper!!! i know the feeling though, when you start jonesing for something it doesn't matter if you're up til 1am baking that junk. LOL.
i want a snicker doodle now....but no. last night i baked brownies then forgot to bring them to church! so we have a whole huge pan to eat. and i also made 'no bakes" which are divine...because i can't bake brownies for church and not make something even better for my own family! so we have all these goodies in the house and my pants feel really tight right now. hmmm, wonder why? think there's a connection?

rychelle said...

snickerdoodles are my FAVORITE cookie. ever.

Brigitte said...

Yes you CAN totally screw up cookies. I have had some nasty nasty cookies before.

And what's with substituting raisins for chocolate chips?! Yeah, maybe not so weird but WHY?!?! Mmmmm.... Chocolate. Raisins..... YUCKY.

Lee said...

I've never had a snickerdoodle in my life. They look REALLY good.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Awards and Such