I got to see The Book of Eli this past weekend. It was really good. Although it is how it ends, what is revealed that you had no clue about, that sealed the deal for me that I liked this movie...a whole lot. I knew as long as Denzel was a good guy, I would most likely love it. But if he is the bad guy, I hate those. Avoid them. Never seen Training Day thank you. But I was pretty confident he was the good guy. What he does to keep this sacred book that can save mankind, safe, after an apocalypse, is AMAZING. How he came about the book is amazing. His skills at protecting the book? You guessed it, amazing! Gary Oldman was brilliant as the bad guy (though there are many...it is after an apocalypse after all, people get desperate and really evil), as he is almost always brilliant in whatever role he takes. Man, that guy is versatile. And how things finish in the movie with him, oh the writers made me quite smirky with glee. Mila Kunis was quite likable as someone that Denzel eventually lets walk his journey with him. She ends up being a help to him also and I applaud her acting in this movie. I liked her character Solara.
I do indeed love Denzel. He is just, an amazing actor, and I love like every movie he is in...as long as he is not the bad guy. So to show my love of Denzel, I am going to share with you some of my favorite movies. I think I will track down the trailers if I can. If there is a movie/trailer you have never seen, and you also like Denzel, watch the trailer and then rent the movie, or buy it, even better! Give a girl who is working HARD on this a chance, and actually watch the unfamiliar ones, will you? I don't know about you guys, but when someone puts in a lot of effort and even writes their own version of a synopsis and no one bothers to read it? You just stabbed me in the heart! *sob* I give you 5 of my favorites...though obviously there ARE more! And guess what?! They are doing a sequel to Inside Man!!! With Denzel naturally! I love that movie too!
1) Fallen - my Denzel (LOL) is a homicide copnamed Hobbes, who witnesses the execution of serial killer Edgar Reese. But then strangers on the street start singing the same tune that Reese sang in the gas chamber before he died. Those same people taunt him, and seem to know him. After finding the name Azazel in a dead cops home, he contacts someone in the supernatural field and is told that maybe the cursed fallen angel Azazel is behind the new rash of murders that seem like Reese's work. Azazel is cursed to roam the Earth without a form, and he can switch bodies by any contact, making him hard to track. He can be in Hobbes son one second then a woman walking past him who brushes against the son. When Hobbes is forced to kill a man possessed by Azazel, he must clear his name while protecting his family and others from Azazel. Denzel thinks he has found a way to stop Azazel and lures him to a cabin in the middle of nowhere.
2) The Bone Collector - my Denzel is an ex-forensics expert Lincoln Rhymes, who in now a paraplegic. He is done with cases until a serial killer chooses him to figure out his identity. Rhyme's teams up to solve the string of murders all connected to the serial killer by his signature: a single shard of bone is removed from each of the victims. Rhyme is bed-ridden, but communicates with Amelia, played by Angelina Jolie, who was the cop who saved the evidence from a crime scene about to be contaminated. So she is drawn in by Rhyme's who wants her working the case, as he trusts her instincts. Via phone she examines the various crime scenes and collects evidence and reports back to Rhymes. She is Rhyme's eyes and ears while she collects the evidence and with him talking her through it, they get closer to the identity of the killer. They become close as they work together sifting through the evidence together.
3) John Q - my Denzel, is John Quincy Archibald. His son Michael collapses while playing baseball as a result of heart failure. John rushes Michael to a hospital emergency room where he is informed that Michael's only hope is a transplant. Unfortunately, John's insurance won't cover his son's transplant. He tries to raise the money but the amount is too much. When the doctors plan on releasing Michael this is when things turn for the worse. Out of options, John takes the emergency room staff and patients hostage until the hospital doctors agree to do the transplant. He is really a good guy here people, you will see. He is being screwed by the hospital administrators and the insurance companies who changed his policy without informing HIM. Michael will die unless someone helps him. John will do anything for his son, even if it means giving up his own life.
4) Out of Time - My Denzel is Matt Whitlock, the police chief of Banyan Key a small town near Florida. He is separated from his wife, Alex, a police detective based in Florida. Matt's been having an affair with Ann, a woman who's separated from her husband Chris and who says that she has cancer. Ann plans on rewarding Matt's loyalty to her with a handsome payout from her life insurance, but needs money now to pay for the treatment. So Matt gives her the nearly half a million dollars that he seized from some drug dealers. When she turns up dead and without the money, evidence points to Matt. He tries to figure out what's going on but it appears he's been set up. So he has to try and find the money especially now that the Feds are asking for it before the evidence exposes him.
5) Deja Vu - Okay I am using the IMDB synopsis on this one, it is a little hard to explain. A ferry filled with crewmen from the USS Nimitz and their families is blown up in New Orleans on Mardi Gras. BATF Doug Carlin, my Denzel, is brought in to assist in the massive investigation, and gets attached to an experimental FBI surveillance unit, one that uses spacefolding technology to directly look back a little over four days into the past. While tracking down the bomber, Carlin gets an idea in his head: could they use the device to actually travel back in time and not only prevent the bombing but also the murder of a local woman whose truck was used in the bombing?A woman Carlin is falling for as he watched her from the future?